In 2009, Rick and Julie George started Juno Foundation to address a chronic shortage of mental health therapists in the Calgary area who were trained, capable and willing to work with adolescent girls, young women and their families, and to provide financial aid to families in need of therapy.
In 2017, we began the process of changing our name to Lionheart Foundation. Drawing from the historic reference of Richard the Lionheart, our new name represents bravery and courage, the very qualities girls and young women need to cope with the pressures of adolescence and to evolve into adulthood, confident and self-aware.
Over the years, we have helped over 300 young girls and their families receive best-in-class mental health care, with dozens of therapists providing specialized treatment for adolescent anxiety-related issues such as depression, eating disorders and self-harm.
As a Foundation, we are very proud of what we’ve accomplished. And we want to do more.
Adolescent mental health remains an area that is disjointed and under-resourced, and it is estimated that one in three girls experience eating disorders, anxiety disorders or depression.
We have an opportunity – and a responsibility – to address this issue.
Our sights are set on becoming a primary resource for adolescent anxiety-based issues in Calgary and Alberta. With this in mind, we are committed to:
- Connecting even more mental health practitioners to families in need, and providing even more subsidies for access to best-in-class treatment.
- Sharing best practices, shared learning and research.
- Providing advocacy for highly effective adolescent mental health programs, practices and policy.
- Offering educational opportunities and working with therapists, clinical organizations, community partners and mental health system partners to build a holistic base of supports and services for young people and their families.
- Building adolescent mental health awareness and education for parents, teachers, coaches and others who work with young people.
- Building our stable, diverse group of committed donors.
- Strengthening the governance and financial sustainability of the Foundation.
Lionheart Foundation's Direction
Listen to Executive Director Lorie Gibson discuss where Lionheart Foundation is at and how the Foundation is making a difference in the lives of adolescent girls and young women.